Friday, January 28, 2011

best ssh program for Windows?

I know of Putty. I currently use rxvt (via Cygwin).

Is there a more "integrated" terminal program for Windows out there? e.g. something closer to KDE's kconsole -- where I can have multiple shells all tabbed within the same window. etc.

  • So far as I know, Putty is the best open-source non-commercial SSH client for Windows. For tabbed sessions there is http://puttycm.free.fr/cms/

    You could also look at commercial programs such as Reflection for Unix and SecureCRT. (Edit:) They both offer tabbed sessions.

    Another option might be Putty + screen (man screen)?


    (Edit:)

    Summary of programs suggested in this & other answers and comments

    In no particular order (well, the order I read them in)

    I thought it would be useful to have a concise list. For votes, see also below.

    disserman : +1 for securecrt. using it last 8 years, imho the best.
    phsr : +1 for Putty+screen. Screen has the nice side effect that if you ssh connection get terminated, your processes do not.
    gWaldo : mRemote (and mRemoteNG) allow for multiple sessions in separate tabs in the same window.
    Peter : another +1 for screen.
    Oskar Duveborn : +1 for mentioning Reflection, oh the nostalgia... I recall it being bloody expensive though? ^^
  • Absolute Telnet seems to offer some of what you're looking for, including tabbed connections.

    From Adrien
  • mRemote is an Open-Source 'connection management' app. (It has since been sold to another company, but the source is still available.) In addition to PuTTy sessions (you need to have it installed), it'll also manage RDP v6, VNC, HTTP and so on.

    Development has stopped on mRemote and moved to the new product, but it's fine at the final release, v1.50

    Mircea Vutcovici : There is a fork of it - mRemote NG. You can find it at http://www.mremoteng.org/
    gWaldo : Thanks for the heads-up. I had downloaded a the installers and source just-in-case
    From gWaldo
  • I know you already accepted an answer, but I hate Putty and there IS another tool out there for Windows users. A lot of people say Putty is the best - probably because it's the only tool they know about for Windows clients. I thought it was the only option as well until I found Poderosa.

    It offers multiple panes/sessions per window, multiple tabs, simple font/color customizations, background images/colors - and probably a few more things I haven't found yet.

    It's the only tool I use now for telnet/ssh/console(serial) terminal shell sessions. It might be what you're looking for.

    Dennis Williamson : But there's been no activity on it since 2006.
    Sirex : but but.. putty *is* the best !
    Cypher : @Dennis: granted, but it works and the source IS available for special circumstances.
    From Cypher
  • I use the ssh client in Cygwin's port of the OpenSSH package all the time in Windows XP. The thing I like most about it is that it works pretty much exactly the same way as the ssh on every UNIX and Linux, in terms of capabilities, command-line options, and config files. This means you can cruise the UNIX and Linux forums for help and hints, and their suggestions will almost always apply to the Cygwin client.

  • Using cygwin's ssh (OpenSSH) with screen is a viable alternative. But personally, I stick to Putty because I dislike cygwin's (cmd) clipboard mouse methods.

  • I am using SecureCRT.

    From adamo
  • kiTTY is an up-to-date port of the venerable old puTTY. It supports tabbed sessions and a bunch of other niceties/tweaks to the original puTTY.

    www.9bis.net/kitty

    Unfortunately, not many people know about this fork yet. If you are currently using puTTY, I would highly recommend kiTTY.

    From UniDyne
  • check for MobaXterm, a terminal console for windows which allows ssh, public keys, X forwards, multi-tabs, and many linux commands in windows environment.

    From miguelo

0 comments:

Post a Comment